Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's your settings?

"Hey photographer, what is your camera settings?"

Almost happens all the time during my photo assignment a person with a camera (hobbyist or apprentice) would come up to me and ask what are my camera settings. My usual reply is "I don't know".

Not that I am trying to keep my settings a secret, the fact is I really don't know.

I usually set my camera on Aperture Priority for most assignments and Matrix metering. In other words, other than aperture, I let my camera decides what are the rest of my settings. This allow me to be more creative in hunting for lights, composing and capturing the right moment. I only dial the exposure compensation higher/lower when require.

Many times during a photo walkabout, I notice photographers are busy trying to get their settings right and thus missing out good photos.

My couples are not bothered by the settings I am using. They just great photos as the end result. Saying that, I do agree that there is nothing wrong with using Auto or 'P' mode in DSLR in fast paced situations.

The last thing no body wants is a blurred or a missed opportunity of a great photo.

Happy Shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment